-Even though we all tend to think of lighting a nice warm fire in the fireplace on chilly fall and winter nights, those romantic fires are not limited to the family room fireplace. Mark Powers, owner of SERVPRO of Arroyo Grande/Pismo Beach, the fire damage company, reminds everyone that those outdoor fireplaces friends and family like to sit around in the summertime need the same kind of attention as an indoor fireplace.
“Preventing a fire is always the first line of defense,” said Powers. “Taking a few precautions before lighting up a fire, whether indoors or out, and monitoring it, helps make sure everyone can enjoy a pleasant evening.”
“Here at SERVPRO of Arroyo Grande/Pismo Beach, fire damage is one of our specialties. We are very sensitive to the shock people experience after a fire and believe that taking all the precautions to prevent a fire from even happening is the very important first step.”
The top fire prevention tips for an enjoyable evening around the fire include:
- Keep flammable materials away from the flames. When outside, the best way to do this is to clear a 6 to 10 foot area around the fire pit, or place the fire pit on a hard, fire proof surface like a stone patio. Inside, keep flammable materials away from the fireplace.
- Use a screen to keep embers from drifting.
- Keep a hose (outside) or a fire extinguisher close.
- Don’t leave the fire unattended and be sure it is completely out before ending the evening.
- Supervise children and pets at all times.
- Outside, don’t place the firepit under trees, eaves, umbrellas or other kinds of covering.
- These same fire safety tips apply when grilling or barbecuing outdoors.
If there is an accident and a fire starts, get everyone to safety, use a hose or fire extinguisher to put out the fire while someone else calls 911.
A fire can get out of control very quickly. When your home or business is damaged by fire, SERVPRO of Pismo Beach/Arroyo Grande is a fire damage restoration company to be trusted. The well-trained and certified team has the knowledge and expertise to ensure your home or business is taken care of and the work is done right. The technicians are caring experts who can guide property owners through this tough time and even help process and monitor the insurance claim.
SERVPRO of Pismo Beach/Arroyo Grande
1131 Pike Lane Suite
Oceano, CA 93445