–California requires drivers to be insured, but the laws can be confusing. John Donovan and his team at the John Donovan State Farm Agency, providing auto insurance in Atascadero, help provide a clear understanding of what is required by the State and the selection of coverages that fits their exposures.
This information is not legal advice. If you have been cited or arrested for any violation of California vehicle code or insurance laws, contact an attorney for legal advice.
Even though California law defines the minimum coverage, nearly everyone has circumstances that require insurance coverage that is more than the minimum. Property owners, business owners, individuals who drive thousands of miles for any reason, and household members driving the family car are examples that may require more than minimum coverage.
The California minimum auto liability insurance is: :
- Bodily injury liability, which applies to injuries you cause. The requirements are $15,000 for the death or injury of one person or $30,000 for the death or injury of two or more people.
- Property damage liability that pays a minimum of $5,000 for damage you cause to another vehicle or property.
Other kinds of minimum coverage include:
- Uninsured and Under-insured Motorist coverage protects you in the event of an accident with an uninsured or under-insured driver.
- Uninsured Motorist Bodily Injury paying for injuries to you and passengers.
- Uninsured Motorist Property Damage paying up $3,500 for damage to your car.
- Medical Payments Coverage for the cost of medical expenses you or your passengers.
- Physical Damage Coverage when your vehicle is damaged by another vehicle or something like a deer, tree, rocks, guardrails, a building or a person.
- Comprehensive covers damage to your car caused by something other than a collision. For example fire, theft, or vandalism.
- Collision and Comprehensive coverage providing compensation based on the market value of your vehicle.
- Endorsements and Riders insurance covers equipment such as CD players, navigation systems and cell phones that are permanently installed, towing and road service, and reimbursement for car rental during repairs to yours.
Trying to figure out coverage can be exhausting. Opting for the minimum required by law might keep the cop with the ticket book away, but may leave you open to risk from insufficient coverage. Owning property, investments, a business, or earning a high income exposes you to being sued. Sufficient insurance is protection against these risks.
Your Atascadero auto insurance agent is the best option for protection. It’s worth the time to meet with a qualified and experienced insurance agent. In some cases, the minimum auto insurance required by law is enough for now. But, as life moves along, things change and it is well worth the time to be prepared in advance.
State Farm Insurance has a number of insurance programs to help protect you, your family and your assets, including auto, property insurance, and life insurance. The agents at the John Donovan Agency are ready with the guidance to help protect you and your family’s future.
Learn more about insurance requirements by contacting the John Donovan Agency, or visiting the California Department of Insurance.
8420 El Camino Real, Suite A
Atascadero, CA 93422