-The first thought when walking into a bathroom or laundry room and stepping in a pool of water is to stop the source of water. “While this is a logical thought,” said Mark Powers from SERVPRO of Pismo Beach /Arroyo Grande, “ it may not be the wisest. Shutting off the electricity at the breaker box might be the first step.”
Powers recently released tips to help people take the appropriate steps when their home or business is being flooded.
- Water conducts electricity and stepping in a puddle that has been exposed to electrical current can be dangerous. Shut off the electricity and main gas and water valves to the building.
- When the flooding is from rain storms, coastal waves, a river breaching its banks or some other natural cause, immediately evacuating to a safe place and call the appropriate authorities.
- Broken pipes, plumbing or sewer failures, and leaking roofs can cause flooding inside a building. Leave the building, shut off the electricity and main gas and water valves. Notify the appropriate authorities. The Arroyo Grande water damage professionals can remediate and repair any damage after everyone is safe and the flooding is stopped.
- If there is time before evacuating from a natural disaster, tarp roofs, board up windows and use sandbags to divert flood waters. Turn off the electricity and gas at the main switches and close the main water valve to the building.
- In the event of a sewage spill or backup, remember that sewage contains harmful microorganisms that are health hazards. Get everyone, including pets, out of the area and keep them out until the sewage is removed and the space has been sanitized. If the backup has spread to other rooms, or is outside, you may need to call the local public works department
Cleaning up and starting repairs after flooding needs to start as soon as the building is safe to enter. The sooner water, water soaked articles and debris are removed the better the outlook for avoiding expensive mold and water damage. The members of the Arroyo Grande water damage team are professional experts for remediating flood damage.
Along with working closely with most insurance companies and helping property owners’ file and monitor insurance claims, SERVPRO has a national reputation for cleaning up and repairing water damage. The experts can assess the damage and create a restoration plan then set about removing the water, even sewage, and repairing the damage.
SERVPRO of Pismo Beach / Arroyo Grande
1131 Pike Lane Suite 9
Oceano, CA 93445