-Water can be a homeowner’s nightmare, wreaking havoc on property, belongings, and overall peace of mind. While many assume that water damage is solely caused by issues like plumbing leaks, faulty appliances, weather, or natural disasters, the experts from SERVPRO of Santa Maria say there is a lesser-known culprit that often goes unnoticed—the ripple effect.
What happens outside can lead to water damage inside, and the Santa Maria water damage company would like to take this opportunity to shed light on the importance of proactive measures to protect homes from seemingly inconsequential events.
Weather extremes, poorly designed and maintained landscaping, and natural disasters are three of the most common culprits that can cause unexpected water damage inside a home or business.
- Weather extremes: Mother Nature’s fury can have a profound impact on buildings, especially during periods of extreme weather. Heavy rainfall, storms, or snowmelt can overload drainage systems, leading to water infiltration. Insufficient gutters, clogged downspouts, or poorly directed water flow can result in water seeping into foundations, basements, or crawl spaces. Over time, this infiltration weakens the structure and invites mold growth, compromising both the integrity of the home and indoor air quality. Regardless of the cause of the water damage, rest assured that the Santa Maria water damage company is prepared to remediate and repair the damage.
- Poorly maintained landscaping: The landscaping surrounding homes and businesses may seem harmless, but it can contribute significantly to water damage if not properly managed. Improper grading or sloping directs rainwater toward the foundation rather than away from it. This can lead to pooling or excessive moisture seeping into the basement or crawl spaces. Additionally, overgrown tree roots can invade underground pipes and cause blockages or ruptures, resulting in leaks or bursts that affect the interior of the house.
- Faulty or damaged roofing: A sound roof is crucial for safeguarding a home against water damage. Damaged or missing shingles, cracked flashing, or improperly installed skylights can allow water to infiltrate the attic or upper levels of the house. Over time, this can lead to structural damage, mold growth, and compromised insulation. Regular roof inspections, maintenance, and timely repairs are essential to prevent water-related issues from occurring inside our homes.
- Plumbing issues: While plumbing problems are typically associated with internal factors, they can also be caused or exacerbated by external elements. Tree roots can infiltrate and damage underground pipes, causing leaks or blockages. Temperature fluctuations during freezing winters can cause pipes to burst, leading to water damage inside the house. Additionally, poor municipal infrastructure or sewer line backups can result in water backup and flooding, affecting multiple homes simultaneously.
- Natural disasters: In regions prone to natural disasters such as storms and earthquakes, the risk of water damage escalates significantly. Earthquakes can cause cracks in plumbing systems, sewer systems, foundations, roofs, and structures of buildings. If this damage isn’t discovered and repaired, pipes leak and may eventually burst, perhaps leaking dangerous sewage into the environment, and rain seeps in through cracks causing damage and mold.
While internal factors like plumbing issues deserve attention, it is essential not to overlook the role that external elements play in causing water damage inside. Weather extremes, poorly maintained landscaping, faulty roofing, plumbing issues, and natural disasters can all conspire to create a perfect storm of destruction. Property owners must take proactive measures to protect their properties, such as regular maintenance, proper drainage systems, landscaping management, and insurance coverage.
That being said, water damage is always a threat, and when it becomes a problem, the Santa Maria water damage company is ready to respond and repair the damage. Using state-of-the-art specialized equipment and supplies, the highly trained and experienced team:
- Inspects and assesses the damage.
- Extracts the water.
- Dries and dehumidifies affected areas.
- Cleans and repairs the damage.
- Restores the property.
Every water disaster is different, from the amount of water to the level of contamination of the water. Each scenario requires a unique solution. The local, family-owned SERVPRO of Santa Maria is here to help anytime, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week when water strikes.
SERVPRO of Santa Maria
1279 W. Stowell Road, Suite C
Santa Maria, CA 93458