-Wildfire season has arrived in California and along with all the other fire safety measures, those businesses and residences that are powered by propane have some other precautions to add. The team from Wildhorse Propane & Appliances, provider for Monterey, San Luis Obispo and Santa Cruz counties has prepared a list of safety measures for propane users to follow.
The first thing to do is create a fire safety plan. The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) provides free planning tools. Local fire departments are also a resource for fire safety plans. The plan should include contact information for emergency services, utility companies and your propane supplier.
When the plan is finished, rehearse it on a regular schedule and make sure adults and responsible teens know how to turn off the propane, electricity and water.
Along with the safety plan, make the following preparations:
- Clear 10 feet of space around the propane tank and propane grill. The area should be clear of combustible materials and tripping hazards, such as garden hoses and landscaping. Store propane cylinders safely.
- Keep cell phones charged. Be sure there is a phone and electronic device charger in the family vehicles. Keep a battery powered radio filled with fresh batteries and within easy access so it goes with you in the event of an evacuation.
- Keep extra, fresh batteries in the emergency kit and in all the vehicles along with several flashlights.
- If a wildfire has damaged the property, rely on the experts to assess the damage and determine when it’s safe to return. Downed power lines, damaged gas lines and propane tanks can be dangerous.
- Call your propane supplier to assess any damage to the entire propane system. Don’t try to turn the propane on until it has been inspected and is safe.
The Salinas propane supplier provides propane safety guidelines for everyday use and emergency situations. The information on the company website includes a description with diagrams of a typical propane system from tank to appliances, what to do if you run out of propane and what to do if there is a leak or a suspected leak.
Wildhorse Propane & Appliances is a family owned business, serving Salinas and all of Monterey County, communities in north San Luis Obispo County and portions of Santa Cruz County since the 1980s. Wildhorse Propane & Appliances is the local source for propane delivery, propane tanks, household propane appliances and the recognized local experts for gas line installation. The company has recently added on-line bill pay and account management to its services.
Wildhorse Propane & Appliances
50557 Wildhorse Road
King City CA, 93930